Thursday 9 September 2010

Interview with Michelle Chai / Daisy Butter



Name: Michelle Chai
Age: 19 and a little bit!
Job: Full-time student, style blogger and Harry Potter enthusiast
Location: Southampton
Website: http://daisybutter.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @winyeemichelle


Tell us a bit about your life. Where have you been? What have you seen? What else do you want to achieve?
I was born and grew up in a small town in Hertfordshire, where not much goes on and fashion is mostly functional and seen as an everyday chore as opposed to something people embrace and explore. As London – the busy capital city! – is just a train journey away, I constantly found myself in the city at weekends which really opened my eyes up to bigger and better things, and the eclectic British style. My parents are from Hong Kong and Malaysia, so I travel usually once a year to see family, where I am inspired by local trends and the culture. I moved to Southampton for University last year which has given me space and time to breathe and soak up what I love most while studying Writing Fashion and Culture. As well as visiting Paris for the 4th time this year, I’m taking my first ever trip to New York this December. I’d love to pursue a writing or styling job in London or New York in the future, but for now I’m quite content with my blog and internships!

When did you start your blog 'Daisybutter'?
I started it in February 2010 but have only just been posting regularly and making a real go out of it since May.

Is it purely for fun or do you want to go somewhere with it?
I blog because I love writing and seeing my followers’ comments and being able to speak to them. Although it is just a big interest of mine at the moment, I always put all my effort into each post, and I do hope that someday it leads to bigger things for me, I would love to get into fashion writing and styling in the future.


What do you think about the blog world? Do you think it's fair that some bloggers get exclusive access to products, fashion shows etc.?
The blogging world is quite misunderstood in my opinion, most people who don’t blog or post regularly seem to think we all get handed freebies on a daily basis which isn’t the case at all! I do love the close-knit community that I’ve been able to form with other bloggers, I see them as my friends as opposed to an online face! I think it’s perfectly fair that some bloggers get “special treatment”, because most of the time, it is well earned! Companies generally are quite selective about who gets what so it is all quite fair, but at other times, it is unfair when a blog just becomes a platform from which to write about products or collections they are endorsing for money. That’s not what blogging is about to me!

How would you describe your style?
I think my style is classic and simple but chic, with a bit of an eclectic edge to it. I love my basics, but always like to pair with a mishmash of necklaces, rings and patterned tights! My readers always comment on my tights collection and the way I accessorise outfits to make them ‘my own’.






Top 5 Places:
1. Home!
2. Southampton, my second home.
3. Hong Kong.
4. Topshop.
5. Paris.

Top 5 Fashion Blogs:
1. Marianna @ http://mariannan.blogspot.com/ - I love Marianna’s blog with her mixture of gorgeous layered outfits and interiors posts. She always features lovely photographs which I love in a blog or website.
2. Lily @ http://www.llymlrs.com/ - I’m really loving Lily’s blog as she isn’t the stereotypical, label-laden fashion blogger; all of her outfits are affordable but still chic, and she always takes the time to speak to her followers despite now having a huge following!
3. Yvonne @ http://bohemianjunk.blogspot.com/ - I think the reason I love this blog is that Yvonne’s style is quite similar to mine! I really like how she contrasts different styles in one outfit which I also tend to do.
4. Kani @ http://kisforkani.blogspot.com/ - Although I’m not much of a thrifter (I never know where to look!) Kani always finds the best bargains and has the most quirky adorable style that I’ve seen in a long time!
5. Kayla @ http://kaylahadlington.blogspot.com/ - I love Kayla’s Lookbook outfits, they’re always completely different each time she posts.

What fashion statement do you love/hate?
I’m not much of a fan of UGGS. Comfy or not, they just make you look like you have chunky elephant feet! I also dislike when people hop on the bandwagon and wear the same as everyone else, which always happens in my town! It’s one thing to take inspiration from a trend, but another to become one of 500 people who are wearing the same thing. Fashion should be about having fun and individuality!

What/who inspires you?
Other bloggers are always inspiring me. I find myself reading blogs during the evening, and then unconsciously thinking “Ooh, ABC would love this!” and then relating it all back to my own style! I’m always inspired by Leighton Meester too, she has an enviable versatile style and uncanny ability to ‘work’ any trend, dress or colour!

Which websites do you visit regularly?
I’m a devoted Blogger, Twitter and Chictopia lurker!

Where is your favourite place to be?
I love being at home with my family. Crazy as everything is getting, with Uni, an internship, job and blog to hold down, there’s nothing better than going home and having a good old fashioned night in with the family!


Thank you! Anything else to say?

That’s quite okay! I’m honoured to be featured!
Not really… But! An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Wrap up in my favourite Autumn picks of layered cardigans and a lovely coat, especially in ‘sunny’ England!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails