Thursday 4 March 2010

Interview - Kane Longden

Interview - Kane Longden

I discovered about 6ish months ago on one of my wanders around flickr. His images instantly captivated me. Their beautiful, surreal and sublime narratives drew me in and left me wanting to explore this playful and hypnotic world Kane creates. When I found his work it involved a lot of digital image manipulation, creating works in ways I didn't even know where possible on photoshop! Now his work has moved away in to the more traditional realms of "photography" and he is going from strength to strength. Any way enough of my words I'll let you here from the man himself and from his images:

Name: Kane Joel Longden
Age: 17
Job: Student
Website:
http://kanelongden.co.uk
Twitter: http:/twitter.com/kanelongden

Hey, Welcome to DEER BRAINS How are you today?
Hello there, I'm very good thanks. :)


What/Who inspires you?
I am inspired my many different things, but the main ones are other photographers. Such as the likes of Tim Walker, Mario Testino, Cecil Beaton and I also really like the work of Sally Mann. I love looking at other peoples work and to get lost in someone elses thoughts, it really interests me. I find it so inspiring when you can look at a photo and instantly know who the photographer is, like they have their distinct mark they put onto their work.





You have a really strong style in your images, how would you describe your photographic style?
Thats a tricky question. I'm still in the process of finding my own style completely. I usually try to use the same tones in my photos, then they seem to have that similar vintage film look to them. I also try to use concepts where I can. I think it makes photos much more interesting when you have a concept to unravel rather than a plain photo with no story behind it.




What has inspired your recent move in your practice, away from the manipulated images?
I think I wanted to prove to myself that I am actually a photographer, and not a just digital artist. I started to rely on Photoshop too much, so I decided I wanted to focus on getting things right in camera. I also love the work of Tim Walker, and as I found out non of his images are digitally manipulated, so it spurred me on to try and create things through a set instead of doing it all in Photoshop later on. I want to carry on making surreal images, but I'll try not to manipulate them too much.



Where do you see you practice heading?
I'm not sure to be honest. I'm not confident enough in my photography yet to declare it as a definite career, although eventually its what I want to do for a living. I took Science subjects at college as a backup plan, but hopefully in a few years I will be working with models as a full time photographer. Its a dream of mine to make something of my photography and I'm going to do all I can to make it happen.


Which websites do you visit regularly?
I use Flickr.com quite a lot as of the photography community on there:
www.flickr.com/_kane
I also like to look at the photography on DeviantArt.com



Thank you for you time, Any thing else to say?
Thanks for the interview.
Your blog is awesome! I feel rather honoured to be on it :P

Check out Kane's flickr - here
Follow him on twitter - here
See his website - here

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails